Thursday, October 6, 2011

Googly-Eye Mirror

I just made a really cute Halloween mirror. See...


I saw this picture frame and just had to make one for myself.


At Michael's I was looking at the picture frames for $1 and right next to it was this unfinished mirror. Light bulb! What if you looked into this mirror and there were a bunch of eyes staring back at you. And what if it said "Boo" instead of "Eek"? I always have to make a project my own so I paid a little extra for the mirror (I think it was $2.99) and headed to Dollar Tree for googly-eyes. I bought 3 packages but ended up using only 2.

When I got home I could hardly wait for dinner to be cleared off the table to start painting. I didn't take pictures of the process but it was pretty self-explanatory. I painted the background in dark purple acrylic and waited patiently for it to dry. It only took one coat since I was covering it with eyes. Gluing the eyes on was the time consuming part. It took me about an hour and a half of gluing little dots and placing eyes. For some reason, random patterns are hard for me! I started with the big eyes and filled in with the medium and small eyes.

Once all the eyes were glued on and mostly dry, I cut a strip of orange-on-orange polka dot ribbon and taped it to the back with masking tape. This way I can remove it or change it if I get tired of it. I cut out the word "Boo" with my Cricut on lime green card stock. I probably should have used chip board as well but I was too excited to just get it done. I glued the letters onto the ribbon only and viola! it's done. I can't believe I finished a project all in one night!

Here are some pictures of my nieces and nephew making scary faces in the mirror.



No comments:

Post a Comment